Friday, March 4, 2011

Michel Gondry and the Attack of Seasonal Nostalgia

While sitting at my desk, the winter’s bass grumbling outside my window, I stumbled about my daily dose of sites and feeds, and came across the video for Living Sisters’ “How Are You Doing?” directed by French commercial, film, and music video director Michel Gondry. I was entranced by the video, a trisected screen paralleling the trio as they dash in and out of cheery disaster to meet before new life in the end. It prodded me to search out a few of Gondry’s other more recent quirky music video works. 

His whimsical style and emotive visual aesthetics stirred my deadened sensibilities to life; I was going to “Dance Tonight” (2007). Suddenly, I could hear the crinkling of a plastic bag, pale car horns floating on warm breezes, and the sound of flats slapping the pavement as I chased a flock of Kylie Minogues who breathed, “Come into My World” (2002). I wanted to search for summer and twirl on the sidewalk with a chorus line of look-alikes and, as the Chemical Brothers suggest, “Let Forever Be” (1999). I wanted to frollick with swarms of coloured shirts as they wind through the city with Mia Doi Todd in “Open Your Heart” (2010). For a few short hours that afternoon, I was in a “Denial Twist” (2005), a fun-house visual flux, lost in delusions of warm-weather grandeur. I was swept up in a rush of sensations which had me begging for ways to “Declare Independence”(2007) from ho-hum winter, and manipulate my way into a summer still several months away. But it is close, and soon the “Winning Days”(2004) will be here.

I suppose I will just have to be patient and amuse myself with Gondry’s array of music videos, commercials, and movies until summer finally arrives with eternal sunshine for this mind.
* * * * *

No comments:

Post a Comment